Girl with Asperger’s Syndrome Tells Her Story to Raise Awareness

aspergers awareness young girl

In 2010, Marta Bustos was diagnosed with Asperger’s Syndrome. After being diagnosed, she felt embarrassed and always wanted to hide her disorder. However, after starting a blog, she’s learned to open up and write about her feelings.

Jacki Bustos, Marta’s mother, always knew that her daughter wasn’t the same as other babies. Her mother says that she was always fussy, couldn’t be alone, would constantly blink her eyes, and didn’t speak a word until she was a year a half and then only full sentences.

After her diagnosis, Marta felt as though she needed to hide her disorder because of the stigma that followed it. Her mother says that she remembers crying after she found out because she was only familiar with low-functioning autistic individuals. Jacki Bustos also said that she had no reference point as to how their journey would be. That’s when Jacki decided to journal about her perspective and feelings on her daughter’s diagnosis.

Once Jacki got started on her blog, it quickly became a way to translate Marta’s everyday thoughts and actions. She was also able to connect with other families whose children have Asperger’s Syndrome.

Later on, Marta added to the blog.  She finally “came out” as autistic and it has given her a sense of encouragement. She now understands that her disorder isn’t a problem, its part of who she is.

Along with the success from her blog, Marta has been invited to speak at the Autism Spectrum Disorder Entercational Conference. The organizer of the conference enjoyed Marta’s positive approach to living with Asperger’s. Marta is excited about speaking but her main hope it to help other people struggling the way she did.

By Sejal Sheth

This entry was posted in Autism Action Alerts, Autism Advocacy, Autism Alternative Treatment, Autism America, Autism Awareness, Autism Education, Autism in the Family, Autism Media Coverage, Autism News, Autism Symptoms and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

8 Comments

1. Posted October 27, 2015 at 1:17 pm | Permalink

I linked here from “Whose Planet Is It Anyway”. I have a litlte one who will be 6 in July. He is Autistic. I often blog about Junior or my “boarderliner” Noddy. However, I blog about STUFF too. Stuff matters.For me/us…Junior is Junior. Our lives are centered around family. Junior is Autistic but I agree with you, that is not how we identify ourselves or him.

2. Posted December 5, 2015 at 9:10 am | Permalink

I can’t hear anything over the sound of how awesome this article is.

3. Posted April 28, 2016 at 9:04 pm | Permalink

Saludos Starviewer.Solo para aclarar los destellos que actualmente se ven, tomando en cuenta que estamos a 8,6 años luz.Es algo que paso hace mas de 8 años, así que mi pregunta seria tiene alguna repercusión en el tiempo actual de la tierra?Gracias

4. Posted June 4, 2016 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Gratulerer sÃ¥ mye!Jeg sÃ¥ dere forresten pÃ¥ lagunen her om dagen… kjente igjen frøken fly med det gjenkjennelige ballerinaskjørtet sitt. Hadde veldig lyst Ã¥ gÃ¥ og hilse pÃ¥, men turte ikke!lykke til med resten av svangerskapet- juni er jo ikke sååå langt unna!:)klem ellemell

5. Posted June 4, 2016 at 10:19 am | Permalink

I saw the challenge, went off to make my creation, came back to upload it and saw all of the DT cards that are SO much better than mine. I was feeling quite good about mine until then!

6. Posted June 5, 2016 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I love colours, came across your blog via Diane's heart shaped blog, love the colours in these photos – reminds me of a gustav klimt painting – thanks

7. Posted July 20, 2016 at 10:37 am | Permalink

Hey Vic,I gave the potion a try and it certainly didn’t work like they claim. Wish i’d seen your review sooner – it woulda saved me time, money , and hope.Frank

8. Posted August 9, 2016 at 7:25 am | Permalink

Heja dig, instämmer med föregÃ¥ende talare. Placera stolpskottets namn i rubriken för lättare googlesökning och starta en crowdfunding. Det här kan förhoppningsvis vara ett viktigt inlägg i en debatt om upphovsrätt pÃ¥ internet – för att inte tala om hur tankeväckande din orignalartikel var!