5 Tips for Autistic Teenagers Transitioning to Adulthood

adulthood for autistics

With the rise in the number of children being diagnosed with ASD, we must also anticipate their transition to adulthood. This specific time in one’s life can be a very scary experience for both the child and the parent. An 18 year old is considered an adult whether or not they still require a caregiver or continuing education.

However, a lot of stress can be alleviated with proper preparation. Here are a few tips to consider:

1. Apply for guardianship or conservatorship. This is a legal proceeding in which the parent can ask the court to deem their child unable to effectively make decisions about healthcare, legal, or financial issues. This is often a long process with many forms to fill out and people often make mistakes. It’s not necessary but you may find it helpful to have a lawyer or legal aid to assist you. There are also different forms of guardianship. For example, some only deal with financial issues while and others are more inclusive. Every state may have their own requirements and procedures so it’s best to contact your local county courthouse. Often, you can apply a few month’s before the child’s 18th birthday.

2. Apply for Social Security benefits. At 18, a young adult is able to apply for Social Security and disability benefits. These opportunities can result in funding awards. Visit http://www.socialsecurity.gov/ for more information.

3. Obtain a State Identification Card. Having a photo ID is necessary in today’s world. It’s required to board planes, open bank accounts, make some purchases, etc. You will have to apply in-person at the DMV. They do require more documentation such as a US Passport, birth certificate, SSN, and proof of residency. You can log onto http://www.dmv.org/id-cards.php for your state’s specific requirements and fees.

4. Sign up for Residential Placement. There may be some residential facilities available in your area but it can take a while for an opening so consider putting your name down right away.

5. Keep less than $2,000 in your child’s name. Many benefits are only given to children that have little or no assets listed under their name. You can also sign up for special trust accounts for services that aren’t typically covered.

These are a few things to keen in mind when your child is moving on into adulthood. Although each county’s policies and procedures may differ, each process is generally the same idea. It is best to contact your local courthouse or government entity for detailed information and proper paperwork.

To read the original article please visit http://www.app.com/story/news/education/in-our-schools/2015/04/29/transition-tips-special-needs/26601943/

Written by Raiza Belarmino

This entry was posted in Autism Action Alerts, Autism Advocacy, Autism Awareness, Autism Employment, Autism Symptoms and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>