Risk Factor: Autism and the Swine Flu Vaccine?

Children's Mercy Hospital_KANSAS_2By Amber Gristak

Wednesday August 19, 2009 marked a big day in the world of vaccinations. An early morning press conference, held at Kansas City’s Children’s Mercy Hospital, announced that five medical centers in the United States have begun testing the anticipated H1N1 (swine flu) vaccine. According to published reports, the vaccination is scheduled to be market-ready by this October.

Children’s Mercy Hospital is one of the locations where the administered tests have begun. They are taking place in the hospital’s Infectious Disease Department. A number was released for information, however, at this time, it lacks info. Hopefully, it will get updated soon. The number is 816-460-1041.

In an attempt to find out more about the study, I contacted the hospital and spoke with Stephanie, an employee in that department. In regards to the H1N1 testing, she told me that, there is “no actual shot yet.” Her friendly tone, had that familiar Midwestern accent, and went onto say that “It’s a big, long, detailed process… there’s a lot of lab work.”

At the press conference, it was announced that four children from two families have volunteered to receive the vaccine. An employee at the Kansas based hospital confirmed with me that the study had enrolled 600 participants. They were unable to take anymore. Multiple reports have stated that each child will receive two doses of the vaccine against the H1N1 virus.

Reports claim it will be a series of two shots. Various doctors have made recommendations to the Centers for Disease Control for it to be given in addition to the seasonal flu vaccine.

More interestingly is what is going on, on the MOM-O-METER. I have been browsing the online communities and already there is a serious backlash from many parents.

Many parents worry that this new vaccination could be linked to the creation of autism. Why? According to many published reports, there are claims of various vaccinations bringing out genes predisposed to the neurological disorder.

Winston-Salem resident, Jane Paterson has an 11-year-old son with autism. Following the press conference she expressed her views on these possible vaccinations to icare4autism. She said, “If there is a possible risk from the vaccine, greater than actually getting the swine flu, then it seems crazy to take the chance to me.”

Numerous mothers of children with autism are commenting on how they watched their children change dramatically, after receiving childhood vaccinations. They worry for other parents across the globe.

A member of the popular icare4autism business page on Facebook, left the following comment on a note about vaccinations: “My doctor gave my child her 12 and 18 month immunizations together, because she was behind with her shots, and I watched my child, within hours of receiving hers, become very ill… She lost full eye contact within a month, 20+ words with in two months and then six months later was told she had autism!”

Next week, St. Louis University medical center will administer a study for the vaccine in children.

This entry was posted in Featured. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

11 Comments

1. debbie hardy
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 10:35 pm | Permalink

Immunisation should be given in seperate doses. Not all at once. M -one month, M -the next month, R -the next.
    For my son, its too late, for yours, its not.

2. tara mckenna
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 8:25 am | Permalink

HEllo I am a proud mom of a eight yr old boy with autism. My son had surgeory when he was aprox. 12 months old and then soon after that received his vaccinations and it was a down slope after that. I am very afraid for my son to receive any vaccinations. We my husband and I take him to dan drs brain scientists speech therapists ots pts and the list goes on he is making slight inprovements saying words every once in a while. Would I take a chance and now vaccinate him with the swine flu vaccine I dont think so. what are the ingredients of the vaccine, to tell you the truth im getting nerveous just thinking about it So we probably will not be receiving the vaccine

3. Rosaleé Harris
    Posted August 23, 2009 at 1:59 pm | Permalink

I just am s-ooo tired of hearing that vaccines are the cause of Autism and allows gene mutation.
    There are two causes of Autism. One is basically gene related. Probably 1 in every 5000 to 8000 children are born with the gene defect, especially if parents have more than 1 child with Autism.
    The other occurrences are probably due to ultrasound. The World Health Organization has declared that unless you’re at high risk (less than 5% of women are) you should not receive an ultrasound. Medically induced Autism may be a real issue. 1 in 150 children are born with Autism. That sounds like a medical epidemic. The fact that gene mutation would occur like that would mean every 1 in 300 persons are having sex with a relative, as a brother or sister. NoOne has ever proven ultrasounds are safe. The main person whom created ultrasounds in the 40’s was to burn tumours off the brain, non-evasively. No certain proof that giving a tiny baby (less than three inches big, and the brain developing at 10-12 weeks when most women receive their first ultrasound because the doctor tells them to, for no absolute reason) sound waves is safe. We do not know if at high temps (remember this is energy, so just because the conducer throws sound waves back doesn’t mean tissue isn’t absorbing part of that energy, like the sun tanning you)isn’t causing neurons to not migrate like they should. This would also be the cause of children having more ADD and being left handed. Also, since neurons die, the fact that some parents notice that after giving birth at 15 months or so, than their child becomes Autistic, may just show that ending. I believe that Autism would go back to being 1 in 8000, if ultrasounds were banned unless medically needed.
    Gawd, is it worth that stupid little pic to have a child with Autism? I would state, definitely not.
    Oh and for all the h8r’s whom constantly tell me about some Ultrasound Tech whom states it is safe. It has never been proven safe on an infant encased in fluid.
    The odds are that water boils when ultrasound waves are given, could have the same damaging effects as a high fever, and since it is sound waves, it could also be like shaken baby syndrome. There is no proof that it is safe on the baby.
    Absolutely no studies anywhere have been done on a human embryo or baby. The World Health Organization has decalred that unless the mother is high risk, ultrasounds should be AVOIDED! Period.
    Immunizations help protect. The same persons whom give me grief about immunizing their human babies, give shots to their pets. How insane. They protect the animal, but not the human life they just created.

4. Posted August 24, 2009 at 9:59 am | Permalink

like this alot glad that i got the chance to read this at this time when it is a time of needing to know what u can do to change things

5. tiffney
    Posted September 3, 2009 at 3:32 am | Permalink

Not one person has PROVEN what causes autism yet. You can not tell someone just because they don’t vaccinate their children that they don’t want to protect their children.We do not want our children to get a disease of any but we don’t wont our children to get autism. Peolpe that don’t have an autistic child doesn’t understand it is a life long disorder.

6. Posted September 10, 2009 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Reading so many articles about it… To be afraid, or not?

7. Posted September 12, 2009 at 5:09 am | Permalink

I cannot agree. My experience didn’t prove it.

8. kamma
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 11:16 am | Permalink

We do not know what exactly causes autism but I do know that there was some mercury in the vaccinations that my children received.I do not believe that ultrasounds cause Autism.We do want to protect our children especially those with Autism and it is a scary thought to have to decide whether or not to give children with Autism this vaccine for the swine flu but I think we would want our children not to get this swine flu. Isn’t it better to protect than to lose our children to this flu?

9. Dawn
    Posted September 13, 2009 at 11:31 pm | Permalink

Confused whether to get the Swine Flu vaccine or not? My son is 14 and has PDD. I’ve read that children with neurological disorders are at risk for severe complications from this strain of flu. I read that 22 out of 36 children that died had some type of neurological disorder. Has anyone else read this too? I’m very worried and think I’m leaning toward the vaccine at this point.

10. Vickie Newsom
    Posted October 17, 2009 at 11:27 am | Permalink

How can you say Autism is caused by ultra sound when many of the Autistic children didn’t develop it until after they had shots around 1yr of age?????

11. Rathamani Muthusamy
    Posted November 2, 2009 at 10:39 am | Permalink

Only if you have a child with autism you can understand the pain and struggles of another parent with the disorder and especially when your child was talking until the time of vaccinations. I am not blaming anyone for the problem but please do not say that we should not think that vaccinations donot cause autism as no one can proove anything after so many years. Our society is depending on the vaccinations and there are not enough people to stand by the people that are afflicted. Above all the strength the families get from the spiritual aspect and their faith will heal them